The aim of ACSIS is to:
- Sensitize the African population and decision makers on the importance of the challenges as well as the potentials of ICT for Africa’s economic integration and the global development of the continent.
- Stimulate the implementation of national and sub-regional Action Plans on Information Society.
- Contribute to the promotion and visibility of African Civil Society initiatives through pilot projects and programs by the association’s member organizations towards the consolidation of the African Information Society.
- Furnish institutional support to associations and organizations in Africa working in the ICT domain, and by this, reinforce their competences and their efficiency in the realization of their assigned objectives.
- Reinforce cooperation and coordination among the continent’s Civil Society, the private sector and the governments at regional and international levels.
In pursuit of its objectives as outlined in article 3, ACSIS shall accomplish the following as its mission:
- Develop partnerships among actors in the government, private sector and Civil Society, enabling it to constitute a veritable force for action and proposals for the reinforcement of a dynamic, strong and inclusive Information Society.
- Create a database on African expertise and on important data concerning research and study centers belonging to governments and non-governmental entities operating in the ICT domain, as well as finance institutions, African and international, for eventual partnerships.
- Carry out research for the benefit of the public and decision makers in Africa, notably, in the identification of fundamental elements of the Information Society and in the proposal of mobilizing projects that will lead to national or sub-regional Action Plans for the Information Society.
- Furnish, if need be, institutional and technical support to African Civil Society associations and organizations with an aim of reinforcing their operational capacities on the field.
- Organize seminars and thematic workshops and training internships on ICT for African Civil Society associations and organizations working for human development in the continent.
- Build strategies and specific sensitization actions on ICT for women, major economic actors in the informal sector to reinforce their capacities in vital domains like trade and agriculture.
- Propose mobilizing pilot projects and programs that will encourage larger participation of women and the youth in the Information Society.
- Contribute to the establishment of “Digital quarters, villages, and towns’’ in liaison with comparative experiments in other places for better collaboration.
- Establish a follow-up cooperation among Civil Society actors, finance institutions, the private sector, and government entities for the mobilization of resources to be used for programs and projects that reinforce the African Information Society.
- Network national centers or excellence in health, education, environment and culture in all the sub-regions using ICT.
- Contribute to the creation of public access points and polyvalent community multimedia centers, open to all, to familiarize with ICT and its constant evolution.
- Engage individuals, local, national, and sub-regional institutions in the Information Society movement by exchanging follow-up information and a close collaboration with national decision makers, sub-regional development organizations, research and university institutions, resource persons, development agents, non-governmental organizations, private sector and Civil Society actors.